The material reduction has become effortless owing to the invention of benchtop metal lathes. You can introduce any solid block of wood, metal, glass, or ceramic into it and easily cut, knurl, drill, or grind material to create a new object. However, it allows you to modify or reshape any solid object by holding it at two points then it starts rotating to reduce the material to a new shape. While choosing equipment, you would want to acquire the top-of-the-line product, thus to find the best benchtop metal lathe you must read product specifications plus customer’s reviews.
Plus, keep the type of material you usually work within mind when looking for a lathe as there are material-specific lathes available. Do look at the price of its tools and accessories as it would affect the future maintenance cost of the machine. The article summarizes some high-end benchtop lathes developed by reputable manufacturers.
Best Benchtop Metal Lathe for 2022
1. Grizzly Industrial G0602-10″ x 22″ Benchtop Metal Lathe
Grizzly never disappoints when it comes to manufacturing top-quality professional equipment. This time Grizzly has managed to design the best benchtop metal lathe known as Grizzly Industrial G0602 which is highly functional and specifically built for heavy-duty tasks. According to machinists, it is one of the most advanced models that is capable to deliver superb performance. The beast is able to generate 1HP through a powerful electric motor.
It is a versatile machine that comes with a 22-inch canter distance for simple and more sophisticated operations. With a 9-1/2 inches swing over the bed, it is able to transform the toughest materials. G0602 is designed as a single-phase unit that operates at 110 V plus you can regulate the speed of this benchtop lathe. It also features a 25mm spindle bore and its Tailstock travel is 2-1/2″.
- It comes in numerous variations such as 150, 300, 560, 720, 1200, and 2400 RPMs.
- G0602 is a heavy-duty unit
- It is highly functional and reliable
- It is powerful and versatile at the same time
- Poor paint quality
- Some design aspects need modification for better results
2. Shop Fox M1049 9-Inch by 19-Inch Bench Lathe
M1049 by Shop Fox is rather used by professionals who are required to cut, knurl, drill or grind material to develop a symmetrical workpiece. This benchtop lathe comes with fully adjustable features plus its 7-1/4-inches 4-jaw chuck are designed in such a way that you can reverse and control its movement. It also features 6 speeds that vary between 130 and 2000 RPMs. Shop Fox developed this benchtop lathe model which is durable, versatile, and suitable for countless different projects. Its swing over the bed measures 9 inches while the spindle thread is 39mm x 4mm pitch.
The maximum object size that you can infuse in M1049 is 3/8 x 3/8 inches with the carriage travel of 16 inches and compound travel of 9/16 inches, its object holding capacity is quite impressive. This benchtop lathe has a compact and manageable size as it weighs 289 pounds and its dimensions are 41 x 22.5 x 19.5 inches. Shop Fox M1049 has been designed to be more appealing because of its metallic exterior and smooth finish.
- Several adjustable features are installed in this benchtop lathe
- Speed variations are quite impressive
- Due to its durable design and versatility, it is considered one of the metal lathes
- MI049 is budget-friendly but Shop Fox didn’t compromise over quality and performance.
- It often requires tuning
- The user manual is quite intricate.
3. WEN 3455 Variable Speed 7 by 12″ Two-Direction Benchtop Metal Lathe
Engineering a new object from benchtop metal lathe has become much convenient as WEN 3455 offers a variety of adjustable features such as variable speed control. The speed range is between 100 and 2500 RPMs, greater than all other benchtop lathes available in the market. WEN genuinely focused on its outer appearance by designing its exterior extremely appealing. This amazing benchtop lathe by WEN has the ability to incorporate 4 tools at once with the tool post of 5/16-inches. It also features a threading dial indicator which is used to turn screw heads between 15 and 52 TPI.
The lathe is certainly the star of WEN’s collection due to its durable built and versatile execution. An automatic adjustable feed rate is also present in this benchtop metal lathe which is a functional integration as it is used to run the electric motor.
- It features a 3-jaw chuck
- It’s electric motor generates ¾ HP force.
- Multiple tools can be introduced in its tool post
- It features advanced speed control features
- Recognized as one of the best benchtop metal lathes by experts.
- It features a modern design and a smooth finish
- It’s not always available
- Design has some limitations
4. Erie Tools 7 x 14 Precision Bench Top Mini Metal Milling Lathe
If you intend to acquire a benchtop metal lathe that includes all essentials in a single package then Erie Tools got your back. Erie Tools incorporated 5 pieces of carbide cutter kit, internal and external jaw chunks, and a cluck key in a 7 x 14 Precision Bench Top Mini Metal Milling Lathe package. The benchtop lathe by Erie Tools is extremely durable and highly functional, you can perform various tasks from shaping flexible materials to cutting hard-core objects with this incredible equipment.
The size of the benchtop is 7×14 inches which are considered as the optimum size for holding a good size object at two points and rotating it to give it a new shape. It also features variable speed control and you can increase the speed up to 2400 RPMs. It also allows you to turn screw heads and it ranges from 12 to 52 TPI.
- It is considered the best benchtop metal lathe as it includes everything in a single package.
- The powerful electric motor is installed in this lathe for heavy-duty operations.
- Erie Tools didn’t compromise over the quality while introducing at an extremely reasonable price.
- You can regulate the speed through variable speed control and accelerate up to 2400 RPMs
- Jaw quality is not very impressive.
5. Shop Fox M1015 6-Inch by 10-Inch Micro Lathe
Shop Fox manufactured an M1015 benchtop lathe for more sophisticated detailed tasks that require minor applications. It’s always challenging to work with small-sized objects and give them a symmetrical shape but the M1015 6-inch by 10-inch Micro Lathe has got you covered by allowing you to carry out the flawless formation of the desired workpiece. The benchtop metal lathe features variable speed control ranging from 100 to 2000 RPMs plus it comes with 4 hex wrenches, chuck key, and 3 external jaws. It provides a stronger grip with its MT2 spindle taper while its tailstock taper is MT1.
Shop Fox designed this benchtop lathe to be compact as the dimensions are 27 x 14.3 x 12 inches. Plus, the weight of this machine is kept very manageable weighing only 71 pounds, it is much more portable than any other lathe available in the market.
- Engineers are much satisfied with the Shop Foz Micro lathe as they are able to modify and produce extremely accurate objects.
- It’s perfectly suitable for smaller intricate tasks.
- It’s durable with a top-quality exterior
- The package of micro lathe includes all essentials.
- It has been backed up by 24 months warranty.
- One of the best benchtop metal lathes
- It comes with an unambiguous manual guide that even a non-technical man would understand.
- Not suitable for larger tasks
- Electric motor is not powerful enough for heavy-duty tasks
6. Grizzly G4015Z Combo Lathe/Mill
As expected, Grizzly never manufactures an ordinary tool or machine, there is always a twist in the basic design and technology to develop something incredible. This time Grizzly has designed the G4015Z Combo Lathe/Mill which includes two tools in one piece of equipment. It functions as an efficient metal lathe while you can also utilize it as a benchtop drill press. Moreover, you can combine both units to create a powerful workspace. The multi-functional combo would allow you to modify any material efficaciously.
The lathe unit comes with a variable speed control feature that would enable 7 speeds plus the 4- way turret post will provide strong grip while clamping an object. The combo lathe/mill weighs 470 pounds with 4 inches 3 jaw chucks and 9-1/2 inches faceplate. This multi-purpose machine has got everything you need as a machinist.
- The two-in-one machine allows you to carry out several tasks through a single piece of equipment.
- Due to the variable speed control feature, you can regulate the speed according to the scope of work.
- The dual tool station is completely adjustable and resonates durability during the operation phase.
- It comes as ready-to-use with a helpful manual guide
- The swing over bed of 64015Z is 16-1/2″.
- The tread range is between 8 and 120 TPI
- This combo lathe/mill has been the favorite tool station of engineers as they regard it as the best benchtop metal lathe.
- It’s a huge size machine, its slightly inconvenient to move it
Tool stations are an important part of product development and benchtop lathes have made it much easier to mold the material in a required shape. There is numerous object modifying tasks that can be performed by an ordinary power tool but some operations demand an intricate machine-like benchtop lathe to execute them.
Due to ongoing technological advancements, several manufacturers have developed the best benchtop metal lathes that are long-lasting with great functional capabilities. You can also visit our articles on the best small metal lathe, best MIG welder under 500, best MIG welder under 1000, best cordless drill under $50, and best compact driver for automotive use.