Milwaukee Steel Work Cart Generates Anticipation in Tool Storage Line
We get excited about new product launches around here. Occasionally, the unmistakable “ding” of a new press release hits all our computers at once and there’s a scramble to see who gets to head the project up. That’s the case with the new Milwaukee Steel Work Cart with every member of our team passionately making their case for ownership.
- Model Number: Milwaukee 48-22-8590
- 40″ steel work cart with top tray, 2 slide out drawers, and a flip-out tray and pre-cut liners
- 12-gauge steel construction with rubber corner bumpers
- 5″ x 2″ industrial casters with 700 lb capacity
- Built-in power center with AC power and 2.1A USB ports
- Removable storage cups
- Vertical pipe storage
- Wire spool/towel holder
- 2 movable storage bins
- 2 handle installation heights
- Available now
- MSRP: $399
What’s the Big Deal?
This is Milwaukee’s first steel rolling cart since they started their heavy focus on steel storage a few years back. Whether you’re in an automotive shop, wood shop, on a jobsite, or reviewing tools, rolling carts are massively useful. So why are we so excited about this particular one?
Milwaukee doesn’t do “me too” products just to check off a box and there are some genuinely helpful features on the Milwaukee Steel Work Cart. There are a lot of little details and we have a bullet list at the bottom in case that’s easier to digest.
Much More Than Basic
For starters, it’s a 40″ model with a top tray that measures 37″ x 21″ x 3.9″ and holds up to 300 pounds. There are 2 removable cup holders and a parts tray with 3 separate sections.
You can flip the cup holder around to make a flush surface or completely remove them to reveal some vertical pipe storage. There’s even a V-groove cut into one side to help hold round material while you cut or measure it.
Milwaukee adds an upper drawer (35.1″ x 16.4″ x 3.9″) under the top tray that can hold up to 100 pounds. They toss the bottom shelf and exchange it with another 200-pound capacity pull out drawer (34.6″ x 19.4″ x 2.8″). Both drawers lock—the upper for security and the lower to keep it from sliding out while you move it around.
The top tray and both drawers also come with pre-cut liners.
Pro Tip: Use a spray adhesive on your drawer liners to keep them from sliding with the weight of your tools.
Power to the People
Like their other steel storage options, the Milwaukee Steel Work Cart includes a power strip with 2.1A USB ports. You can mount your M12 and M18 chargers with the included fasteners. Of course, you have to plug the cart in to get power, but it’s a convenient way to organize your chargers and devices as you move from one area of the shop or site to another.
There’s a wide flip-out tray at 39″ that holds up to 50 pounds and that Milwaukee sees primarily as a laptop and document table.
Two small storage bins fit in multiple locations around the side to suit where they work best for you inside or outside the frame. They also fit in the top tray well if you like them there.
A storage bar also comes with the setup that’s great for wire spools, tape, shop towels or other items that store easily on a dowel. You can add more dowels if you need more of that type of storage.
You can even install the handle in one of two heights.
We’re not the only ones excited–check out what people are saying on social media!
The 40″ Milwaukee Steel Work Cart runs $399 and is available at select retailers. Currently, that’s just Home Depot.
Obviously, that’s quite a bit more than more basic work carts. The quality of the construction and the multitude of added benefits are what makes this model so compelling even at a higher price. However, compared to some of the premium automotive brands like Snap-on, it’s not such a stretch.
Milwaukee Steel Work Cart Feature Overview
- 700-pounds total capacity (based on caster capacity)
- 300-pound top tray (37″ x 21″ x 3.9″)
- 100-pound upper drawer (35.1″ x 16.4″ x 3.9″)
- 200-pound lower drawer (34.6″ x 19.4″ x 2.8″)
- 50-pound flip-out tray
- Upper and lower drawers lock
- Pre-cut liners for both drawers and top tray
- 2 removable cup holder reveal vertical pipe storage
- 2 movable storage bins fit inside or outside the frame, or inside the top tray
- Adjustable height bar holds wire spools, towels, and more
- Reinforced V-grooves for round material
- Fasteners included to mount M12/M18 chargers
- Rubber corner bumpers
- 2 handle installation heights
- Power strip includes 4 AC outlets and 2 USB ports (2.1A)
- 12 gauge steel construction
- 5″ x 2″ casters with polyurethane wheels